Even when Seagate external disk repair is not possible, your data can still be recovered!
How do I recover a Seagate external disk? If you’ve asked this question, then your device probably has a problem and you want to fix it as soon as possible so that you don’t lose access to everything stored on it.
It’s important to note that this is a relatively common situation, not because of the poor quality of the devices, but because of the enormous volume of disks sold by Seagate, as shown by the data available on the Statista portal.
According to them, from July 2017 to June 2018, 20.9% of hard drives sold worldwide were Seagate, second only to Western Digital in the same period (38.6%).
From July 2018 to June 2019, on the other hand, Seagate was third on the list, with 15.7% of all hard drives sold worldwide, behind only Samsung (33.6%) and Western Digital (24.6%).
Therefore, wanting to recover a damaged Seagate disk is something that can happen at any time, not only to this brand but also to all the others, whether due to an internal problem or because the external disk has been dropped, liquid spilled or accidentally formatted, for example.
Fortunately, the situation can be rectified. Read on to find out what you can do to repair a Seagate external disk or recover your data, as well as some tips to prevent this from happening.
Why can data be lost from a Seagate external disk?
Several situations can cause a Seagate external disk to lose its data, such as:
- Formatting the disk: whether it’s a planned or accidental formatting, it’s not uncommon to want to regain access to one or more files that were contained on the disk.
- Human error: this is another very common factor. After all, as human beings, we are extremely prone to failures, which can range from accidentally deleting a single file to “wiping” a disk with important data to store games, movies, photos and other documents.
- Power outages: External disks can also suffer what happens to internal disks, although the probability is lower. Power outages can damage the functioning of the device
- Liquid spills: Whether it’s that delicious milkshake or a refreshing bottle of water, it’s also common for liquids to be spilled on the Seagate external disk, whether it’s on the table or even in your backpack or bag.
- Hacker attacks: when connected to a computer or mobile device, external disks can be accessed just like internal storage disks, which can result in attacks by cybercriminals.
- Viruses and malware: even with a good antivirus, unknown attachments and strange websites can contain viruses and malware capable of damaging the data on your external storage disk.
- Loss and theft: last but not least, the Seagate external disk can be lost or stolen, as it is a portable device and is therefore at slightly greater risk of such situations.
Can I recover my Seagate external disk?
Yes, in the middle of so many possibilities of having your data lost, the good news is that recovery is not only possible, but usually brings great results in most cases.
Here at Bot, we have a 95% success rate in the cases we receive, as well as 99% customer satisfaction. This gives you, the customer, much more security and confidence, as you can rest assured that your external disk will be in the hands of highly qualified and skilled professionals.
How do I recover my Seagate external disk?
This is a question to which there is no definitive answer. At the same time, we can think of the repair of a car: everything will depend on what has been damaged and how it happened.
To recover a damaged Seagate disk, you need to carry out a very meticulous technical assessment of the device, both the electronics and the mechanics, in order to check which components may have some kind of problem and come up with the best possible solution.
In most cases, it is necessary to use data recovery software. These allow previously deleted directories and files to be recovered, which is a real light at the end of the tunnel.
But be careful: data recovery software should only be used by those who are experienced in its use. Otherwise, the data may not be recovered or it may even make the procedures carried out by professionals even more difficult.
It is therefore possible to recover a Seagate disk that you don’t recognize or that has any other problem, but it’s best to leave this service to someone who really understands the subject, like Bot.
How to recover Seagate external disk using CHKDSK?
There is a procedure that can help you recover access to the data contained on your Seagate external drive (and other brands too), which is done in Windows, without the need to download any external programs.
This is a good suggestion for cases where the hard disk is identified by the computer, but the files are corrupted, so they can’t be opened properly.
Here’s the advice: only go ahead with the process if you have some experience with data recovery. We would also like to point out that we cannot be responsible for any damage caused to the device or the data on it.
The process is simple and works like this:
- Open the start menu by clicking on the Windows icon which is usually in the bottom left-hand corner or by pressing the key with the Windows icon on your keyboard.
- Type “cmd” (without the quotes) and press Enter. This will open the Command Prompt window.
- Type “chkdsk g:/f” (without the quotation marks, “g:” being replaced by the drive of your external hard disk) and press Enter.
- The external disk will then be repaired.
After that, run the test and see if the files can be opened. If so, then the problem should have been solved, but if not, the ideal is to seek help from a specialized company, such as Bot.
How to prevent data loss on a Seagate external disk?
As the saying goes, “prevention is better than cure”. That’s why some tips are very valuable for preventing your data from being lost or damaged.
To make things easier, we’ve separated the tips into two categories: software and hardware and environment.
Software e hardware
- If possible, have more than one backup. Apart from external disks, you can use USB sticks, cloud storage or even a printout of an important document, for example. The more possible sources of recovery, the better.
- Make backups in the cloud. The cloud deserves to be highlighted even more, as it offers the possibility of storing your files in a safe place and accessing them at any time and day, as well as being accessible and there are several companies that offer this service, such as Google Drive, Dropbox and OneDrive.
- Remember that external disks are sensitive devices. Although they are designed to be transported to other places, avoid shocks and impacts, which can cause damage, especially to the mechanical part.
- After using the external disk, store it in a safe place. This could be a drawer in the office, a closet or any other place protected from humidity and impacts.
- If you don’t need to use the external disk, don’t take it with you. Although it’s very practical, if you’re not going to use the external disk, it’s best to leave it at home, in the office or somewhere else safe.
- Be very careful with liquids near the external disk. If you don’t pay attention, a little water can damage the electronic structure of your external disk. Avoid leaving it near any source of liquids or moisture, from juice bottles to open windows on rainy days.
How to recover a damaged Seagate disk and regain access to your data?
While it’s not always possible to reuse the defective device, most of the time it is possible to recover the data from the Seagate external disk. After all, even if the old device has to be discarded, the value of your data tends to be much greater than that of the disk.
In this case, count on Bot. We are a company specializing in external drive recovery, with more than 100,000 resolved cases and 20 units in Brazil and Portugal, with services provided by specialists in clean rooms certified by US Federal Standards 209 for greater efficiency.
Don’t delay in recovering your Seagate external disk and regain access to your data economically, comfortably and safely!