It is not uncommon to find reports of users complaining that their data has disappeared after a Windows update.
Precisely because this is a common occurrence, it is important to know how to go about recovering your files after a system update.
In this article, we are going to teach you what may have caused the data loss, methods for recovering your lost files (and the safest way to do it), as well as the step-by-step process for updating your system safely – if you want to do it.
Possible causes of data loss after updating Windows safely
Some of the reasons below may have caused data loss after updating your Windows:
- Your account is not compatible with a temporary Windows account
- The account you used before the upgrade doesn’t work at the moment
- Documents have been moved to different locations
- During the migration to the new version of Windows, records were accidentally deleted.
How to recover files after a Windows update?
Here are 5 methods for recovering files after a Windows update.
Method 1: Remove the temporary account
You can try tracking down your old documents after updating your computer to the latest version of Windows.
- Step 1: Make sure you have a temporary account;
- Step 2: Go to Start > Settings > Accounts and then “Synchronize your settings”. If you see a message at the top saying “You are logged in with a temporary profile. Roaming options are currently unavailable, restart your computer and sign in again.” This should delete the account and your documents should be accessible again;
- Step 3: Synchronize your settings page;
- Step 4: Restarting your PC and logging in again also works if you get a message saying: “We can’t log in to your account”. This problem can usually be fixed by logging out and then logging back into your account.
Method 2: Find lost files after Windows update using search
If you are not logged in with a temporary Windows profile, you can search directly for missing files in the search box on the taskbar.
To find a record, you can search by document name or file type.
For example, if you are looking for a lost Excel record, search for the document name (under which it was previously saved) or *.xlsx.
In the search bar of the taskbar, type indexing and then select “Indexing options”.
Select the “Advanced Administrator” symbol to see more options and, at this point, select “Troubleshoot” search and indexing and follow the steps.
This way, you can recover data that disappeared after the Windows update.
Other methods you can try:
- The Windows update may prevent some documents from being seen. In the “Search” box on the taskbar, type “File Explorer Options” and, at that point, select the “View” tab. Under “Logs and Hidden Folders”, select “Show Hidden Documents”. Then try searching for your data again;
- Some of your documents may have been moved when you installed the new version of Windows. To check the location of the documents you discovered, press and hold (or right-click) on the file and select “Open file location”. Duplicate all the records you need to move to an alternative location.Other methods you can try:
Method 3: Restore lost files after Windows update with backup
Go to the Start menu, and follow the path Settings > Update and security > Backup and select “Backup and Restore”.
Select “Restore my documents” and follow the commands they provide to recover files lost after the Windows update.
You can get a document back by creating another one with a similar name and type, in some cases. Once you have made the new document:
- Step 1: select “Properties”;
- Step 2: click on the “Previous versions” tab;
- Step 3: choose the type of document to recover.
Method 4: Enable the administrator account created for updating
After upgrading to the latest version of Windows, the administrator account you created may be disabled naturally.
If this is the case, you won’t have the option of viewing the documents stored in the administrator account that doesn’t work.
Therefore, to restore the data that disappeared after the Windows upgrade, you need to enable this account by following the steps below:
- Step 1: type “Computer Manager” in the “Search” box on the taskbar and click “Open”;
- Step 2: When the “Computer Manager” window opens, click on “local users and groups” on the left-hand side of the panel;
- Step 3: double-click on “users” on the right-hand side of the panel;
- Step 4: double-click on “Administrator” to open “Properties”;
- Step 5: uncheck the “Account is disabled” box if it is already checked;
- Step 6: Click on “Apply” and then “Ok”;
- Step 7: log in with this administrator account and try to find your lost documents.
Method 5: Recover files after Windows update without backup
If you cannot find the lost documents, this means that the records were deleted during the migration to Windows.
In this case, to recover your files, you will need to use data recovery software.
However, using these systems requires you to be familiar with using this type of tool.
Furthermore, by using this software, you could damage your disk and making your data unrecoverable.
How to recover professionally if no other method works
The best way to recover your data, without the risk of damaging your disk, is to use a professional recovery service.
Like the one we offer here at Bot!
Our highly trained professionals work in a room with all dust particles controlled, preserving the integrity of your disk while recovering your data.
Furthermore, we cover the cost of shipping your device from any address in Portugal.
Not to mention that our services are extremely fast: with us, you can get your quote within 48 hours!
Safe steps to upgrade to the latest version of Windows
If you want to upgrade to the latest version of Windows, follow the 3 steps below:
1. Make a full backup before updating
With a full system backup, you can downgrade Windows whenever you want, regardless of whether you have exceeded the 10-day rollback period.
2.Leave enough space for the system disk / C disk
It is important that you ensure you have enough space on the system disk partition before upgrading to the latest version of Windows.
To do this, you can increase or extend Disk C before upgrading. To do this, resize or move other disks (such as D, E or F) to make more room.
3. Free up disk space by cleaning up useless files on the C drive in Windows 10
The cleanup and optimization feature is an excellent way to free up space on your system by deleting junk files, browser caches and applications.
With the above two steps completed, you can upgrade to the latest version of Windows with greater security against data loss.
Data disappearing after updating Windows is a common complaint from users of this operating system.
Numerous causes can lead to this problem, including accounts incompatible with the temporary Windows account, malfunctioning accounts, documents moved to different locations, or records accidentally deleted during migration to the new version of Windows.
To try to recover your files after the Windows update, you can remove the temporary account, search to find the lost files, restore your backup, enable the administrator account created for the update or use data recovery software.
However, among these alternatives, the safest way to recover your data that has disappeared after the Windows update is to use a professional service, like the one we offer here at Bot.
For over a decade, we have been experts in data recovery, regardless of the make and model of your device or operating system.
We have successfully resolved more than 100,000 cases, with a 95% satisfaction rate among our customers.
We also offer 24/7 support on our social media pages. If you have any questions, just contact us!
Start your data recovery with us now and get your data back in complete safety!